Make sure your generator is ready.
A home standby generator will only work when it’s needed most if it is properly maintained. Be sure to:
- Clear debris and any obstructions away from the generator.
- Keep at least 3 ft. of clearance around the generator. This also includes moving plants and decorations away from the generator.
- Ensure the inside of the enclosure is free of debris (such as leaves, sticks, dirt, etc.).
- Check your battery for proper charge and clean any corrosion on the terminals.
- Check the air filter. If it’s dirty or damaged, replace it.
- Check the oil level. If low, then top off and verify the next oil and filter change interval.
- Inspect lines and connections for fuel or oil leaks. Fix as necessary.
- Check spark plugs. If the gap is out of tolerance, re-gap or replace it.
- Check sediment trap. Empty if necessary.
For a free generator quote, click here.