Commercial and Residential facilities are often required to install a lightning protection system in compliance with NFPA 780. This generally is an insurance requirement to minimize the risk of losses associated with lightning. Engineers at 4LP review the construction drawings, online riser diagrams and all circuits with sensitive electronics to develop a lightning protection system in compliance to NFPA 780 & UL96A. This design will equip the facility with the required protection from direct lightning strikes and indirect lightning induced currents to electronic circuits.
For commercial facilities, 4LP can provide:
- Development of project scope and system specifications
- Drawing sets and submittals
- Request for proposals specifications
Lightning can cause damages on facilities equipped with lightning protection system. Engineers at 4LP execute a site survey to conduct a root cause analysis of system failure. We often reveal grounding anomalies and inadequate protection on sensitive electronics. Our engineers will perform a detailed study to present recommendations with bill of materials.
Additional services available for facilities experiencing losses during lightning events:
- Perform grounding system resistance tests, grounding continuity point-to-point resistance tests, and tests to measure the resistivity of the soil in case a new grounding system is to be designed.
- Review the power distribution system and identify sensitive electronic equipment which might be at risk of failure due to lightning. Select appropriate surge protection devices and position them strategically for optimal lightning protection for sensitive electronics.